- Carefully read the full instructions on the pack label/leaflet before use.
- Thoroughly wash and dry hands.
- Open the tube, taking care not to touch the nozzle end, to help reduce the risk of infection.
- Use a mirror, this will help you see what you are doing
- Place the tip of the tube close to the eye, gently pull the lower eyelid downwards and look up.
- Squeeze the tube gently and apply a strip of the ointment approximately 1cm in length to the inside of the eyelid. Take care not to touch the eye with the tip of the ointment tube.
- Close for a moment.
- Repeat steps 4 - 7 for the other eye (if it requires treatment).
- Replace the cap securely and thoroughly wash and dry hands again.
Needs to be stored in the fridge between 2-8 degrees whilst the ointment can be kept outside of the fridge. It's a matter of preference - your pharmacy team should be able to advise you.
Optrex Bacterial Conjunctivitis 1%w/w Eye Ointment- Treatment of acute bacterial conjunctivitis. Contains Chloramphenicol 1% w/v