Relaxing Your Eyes
- A busy lifestyle can make your eyes tired, dry, sore and even prone to infection. But there are simple ways to give your eyes a break and protect their health:
- If you regularly drive, stop and get out of the car at least every two hours to prevent tiredness. Also, use Optrex ActiMist™ Eye Sprays to soothe dry eyes.
- Take regular breaks from your computer screen, look away from the screen every 5 minutes for a few seconds. Make sure you blink regularly, as your blink rate slows when concentrating at a computer.
- Ask your employer to fit a protective screen to your computer to get rid of harmful glare.
- Close your eyes for a few seconds to prevent dryness.
- If your workplace is air conditioned or centrally heated, try to keep it well ventilated. Drink plenty of water and, if you can't open a window, place a bowl of water nearby.
- Keep some Optrex ActiMist™ Eye Sprays in your desk, car, etc and use it when needed.
A little exercise can help your body unwind after a stressful day. And, strange as it sounds, some gentle eye exercises can help your eyes relax too.
To start with, sit comfortably with your head straight and your shoulders relaxed.
Look up to the centre of your forehead, then down to the tip of your nose. Repeat slowly four times.
Look as far as you can to the left, then as far as you can to the right. Repeat.
Keeping your head straight and shoulders relaxed, look up to the foremost left-hand corner, then move your eyes across and down to the bottom right, move them up to the top right-hand corner then across and down to the bottom left. Finish by moving them back up to the top left. Repeat.
Starting with your eyes at the top left corner, look down slowly to your bottom left, across to the bottom right, up to the top right and then across to the top left again. Repeat the other way.
Finally, to cool down, squeeze eyes tight and blink several times. Relax by placing your clean palms over your whole eye area and breathing out slowly.